New Years Eve was spent at the Conference Center here in Salt Lake. There was music and singing from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with a few guest performers; Peter Breinholt, William Joseph, and Ryan Tani. They sang some traditional hymns as well as a few more current pieces. They performed, with help from the Orchestra at Temple Square, a song from "Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring." I don't know the young mans name but he was about 12 and did an excellent solo.


There were 3 speakers. Susan Tanner, Jeffery Holland, and Gordon B. Hinckley. I enjoyed all of the talks, however President Hinckley's talk seemed to carry more relevance to me. He directed his talk to the youth. (It was a Youth event.) However, in light of the fact that President Hinckley is 97 and I am 37 years old, I have 60 years left, possibly. That is a lifetime practically. Here are his 4 points.


  1. Be Grateful.
  2. Be Smart.
  3. Be Clean.
  4. Be Prayerful.

1st. I know we have much to be grateful for. This holiday season we were able to give more. We also received more. (Maybe the two are connected?!) We had a really good year, challenging yet rewarding.


2nd. I won't say I am smart, just not as stupid as I used to be.


3rd. I have been fortunate to not have had a drug or alcohol problem. I could lead a "cleaner" life with less donuts, chocolate, and Soda. I have kicked the caffeine habit but it hasn't been easy. I will get a headache 24 hours after I have a dose of caffeinated soda, without fail.


4th. This is an area I plan on increasing by about 50% this year. I'm pretty good about saying a prayer at night, mornings aren't near as good. Whether you believe in a higher power or not it doesn't hurt to ask for help or express appreciation.


I know I probably haven't done the talk justice. You can listen to the audio at LDS.org .


Have a happy New Year!

No comments: